Becoming a Judge in Alberta
Judges play an integral role in the sport of gymnastics and are needed at many events including invitational meets, trials and Provincial Championships. As you gain experience and take higher-level certification courses, you may even be able to judge at Western Canadian Championships and Canadian Championships.
The criteria for becoming a judge vary slightly depending on which program you’ll be judging but the general requirements are as follows:
You must be at least 16 years of age.
For T&T you may start judging at the age of 15 if you are already in the sport.
- You must obtain certification in the specific program you’ll be judging and pass a written exam.
- You may need to take part in shadow judging.
- You will need to pay a Judge Membership fee and renew this membership annually. If you are an athlete your membership is free but you still need to register as an Athlete Judge | Obtain membership.
Please contact the appropriate program manager for more information on the judging certification requirements specific to your program of interest.
To view and register for upcoming AGF judging courses, click here.
GymCan has also developed two new online MAG Judging Courses:
Pre-event Checklist for Judges
In order to judge and be insured at all events in Alberta you must complete the following and send all your documentation to your program coordinator/chair:
- Notification and Assumption of Risk Form: One-time requirement unless this form gets updated at which time you will be contacted by an AGF staff member and requested to complete the new form.
- Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) Form: Required annually.
Back/Police Check: Required every 3 years in Alberta and every year if you’ll be travelling to GymCan events.
Obtain your Back/Police Check here.
- Respect in Sport (RiS) Certification: This is a learning module that must be completed once in your lifetime. Upon completion, you will be provided with a training certificate. You’ll need to submit a copy of this certificate and its corresponding number. Register for RiS Training.
For more information on judging requirements or to submit all your pre-event requirements from the checklist above, please contact the coordinator or judging chair for your respective program:
Acro, MAG, T&T Judging
Men’s Artistic, T&T and Sport Acrobatics Programs Manager
T&T Judging Chairperson
Women’s Artistic Program Manager
Women’s Judging Chairperson